Thursday, December 1, 2011

Multiplying by Multiples of 10 Activity

During our Rti block, I currently have a middle-high group for this two week cycle. My topic is multiplication, and I taught them this standard today:

3.NBT.3. Multiply one-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10 in the range 10–90 (e.g., 9 × 80, 5 × 60) using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.


I taught the students both the way I learned [the step by step, multiply the bottom number by the ones digit in the top, then the bottom number by the tens digit in the top. hey, it works for me], as well as the explanation through place value. For example, in the problem 30 x 4, four groups of 3 tens 120. Because this was a higher group, I extended past the standard and included multiples of 10 higher than 90 [up to 120, as I teach up to the 12 times tables].

[So as I'm typing this, I'm kind of thinking it doesn't make sense in writing! But I swear, it worked well in class!]

[I use brackets a lot without realizing it.]

So tomorrow, we are going to play bingo. I try to play a game with each skill, because as my administrators say "WORKSHEETS DON'T GROW DENDRITES." However, worksheets do help practice math skills for the DCAS next week, so this is part worksheet part game. I aim to please!

Each student gets a game board [there are six different boards, so 2-3 monsters will inevitably get bingo at the same time if they get all the products correct, but honestly I ran out of steam to make more boards tonight]. They must answer all of the problems. Once they are finished, we play bingo with the answers. I call out a number, they cover it if they have it. You know the drill. The last page contains all of the products included on all of the boards for the caller. You can cut them out and pick them out of a hat. OR you can be like me, a cheater. Walk around and choose which products you call, trying to avoid certain kids getting BINGO or helping that kiddo who doesn't have a lot of confidence get a win. =)

So here it is. Fo' free. My second freebie! Woooop! Let me know if you like it or use it or whatevs! The fonts are Bows and Boots and Howser. 

Multiples of 10 Bingo


Another quick and exciting note, a whole slew of bloggers are having a giftaway extravaganza! Yes, I said extravaganza! And yes, I typed extravaganza veeery slowly. It's a hard word to type. Click on the pic to go check out day one from one of my faves [&fellowmeghans] Farley!






TGI[almost]F!

No comments:

Post a Comment