Friday, March 9, 2012

Persuasive Writing

We are trudging through persuasive writing. I chose the verb trudging because composing a well-written writing piece is such a struggle for my kids. They HATE the idea that they have to brainstorm, fill in a graphic organizer, write something, edit it, and write it AGAIN. Blows their little minds.

"Whyyyyyy????"

Because I said so!

Because following all of these steps make certain that you have high quality work that is neat, organized, and focused, my beautiful children!

So I came up with an activity to engage them into persuasive writing. First, we visited our "heart" maps, which include things that we care and love. These things would be the best to write about because we are passionate about them! Then, we brainstormed aspects we'd like to change about these things to make them better.

For example, I obvi wrote teaching in my heart map. I told them one thing that I'd like to change is higher pay smaller class sizes more resources less drama goodbye state testing a bigger classroom! We decided I could try to persuade the school officials. And we brainstormed reasons why that would be a great idea!

My other examples were wanting people to adopt a pet and asking my sister to come visit more often. We are doing these one at a time, and I am challenging them to think of one "world" issue, one "personal" issue, and then whatever they want.

Once all of these are filled out, I will conference with each student and we will choose which idea would probably be the strongest to write about for their writing piece. This is key, because I'm SURE some of my friends are going to want to "persuade" the most RANDOM things.

Anyway, here's the freebie. Now, there's a Gandhi quote on the worksheet. Is this legal? I mean, I'm not selling it, right? And I gave him credit! I'm so paranoid now, I almost don't want to post anything! [Insert Snooki WAHHHH.] Don't get me started on Snooks.

Anyway, click the preview & let me know what you think!

Persuasive Writing Activity

3 comments:

  1. Nice organizer - it's specific and focused, which is how they need to think in order to write persuasively!
    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this! I think everything works better with a chart or organizer!

    - Lisa
    a teachers bag of tricks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea! My kids are hating writing too! I think part of my problem is that we are now in 3rd grade and have never written before!!!!!! Can't wait to hear more about your writing adventures.

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete